- 200g beef sirloin
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp five-spice powder
- 2 red chillies
- 1 piece of ginger
- 2 spring onions
- 1 red onion
- Cashew nuts
- 2 limes
- Soy sauce
- Fish sauce
- Crispy onions
1. Once beef is at room temperature, take out your dry rub making sure it is all evenly mixed. Put a sauté pan onto your stove at a high heat and give it a couple of minutes until it just begins to lightly smoke.
2. Put a small amount of oil into your now hot pan and make sure it’s dispersed thoroughly, Season your beef sparingly before you put it in the pan with the dry rub and seal off the beef making sure to evenly colour the whole piece. Sit the seared meat on your lined tray and put into your pre heated oven and cook it to your desired “doneness”. I am going to cook mine for around 5 minutes which will get me to medium rare.
3. Lift the meat onto a plate and allow it to rest whilst we begin to prepare our salad.
4. To prepare the salad start to cut down the chilli, ginger, spring onions & red onions into nice even strips with a sharp knife.
5. Now we need to mix the salad ingredients together and then depending on how long it has taken you to complete stage 4 (you have to let the beef rest for around 10 minutes) start slicing the beef down then cut the slices into strips adding this into your salad mixture.
6. Next put cashew nuts onto a small tray and place them in the oven until they are toasted this should take around 6 minutes. Cut the limes in half and squeeze all the juice out into a small bowl adding that into your mixture.
7. Using 2 deserts spoons toss the salad until all the lime juice has coated everything, add in soy sauce and fish sauce to taste. What we are looking for here is a balance of acidity, saltiness and spice so everybody will like it slightly different. Take cashew nuts out of the oven, tear some coriander (stalk included) and mint leaves up roughly add the toasted nuts mix up and then plate trying to keep it as high as possible, sprinkle with crispy onions and enjoy!