- 50g green lentils
- 50g red lentils
- 10g unsalted butter
- 1 red onion
- 2 red chilli
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 500ml water
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- Baby leaf spinach
- Salt and pepper
- Natural yoghurt
1. Cover the lentils in cold water 30 minutes before you make the dhal.
2. Heat a heavy based frying pan and add in the butter, finely dice the red onion, chilli and ginger and fry with the cumin until nice and brown.
3. Add in the soaked lentils, 500ml water and ground turmeric then cook for around 30 minutes until the lentils are nice and tender.
4. Take of the heat and add in the spinach, roughly chop the coriander adding that in also along with salt and pepper to taste, serve with some natural yoghurt.
250g wholemeal plain flour
Salt and pepper
250ml cold water
Extra wholemeal flour
1. Place the flour into a mixing bowl, season with salt and pepper then make a well in the centre. Add the cold water and mix together to form soft dough.
2. Scrape out onto a clean work surface. Work until the dough is soft and elastic in texture this will take around 5 minutes.
3. Divide the mixture roughly into 8 and roll out with a rolling pin trying to keep them as round as possible. Heat a non stick frying pan, lightly brush with some vegetable oil and cook the roti for 1 minute either side until they are nice and brown.
4 Stack on top of each other with a piece of grease proof paper in between each. Re-heat to serve.