Chef Stuart has been busy making these delicious Profiteroles this week. Give it a go and tag us on social media with your creations.
- 125g Water
- 125g Milk
- 100g Unsalted Butter
- 1 tsp Sugar
- ½ tsp Salt
- 150g Plain Flour
- 3 Medium Eggs
1. Preheat the oven to 200c. Line two baking trays with parchment paper.
2. Put the water, milk, butter, salt and sugar into a saucepan over a high heat and stir with a spatula or a wooden spoon. Turn off the heat as soon as the butter has melted and the liquid has come to a boil.
3. Quickly sieve in the flour, stirring continuously until the mixture is very smooth.
4. When the mixture is smooth, return the pan to the heat and stir with the spatula for one minute. The paste will begin to poach and some of the water will evaporate. Don’t let the paste dry out too much, or it will crack during cooking. Remove the pan from the heat and transfer the contents to a clean bowl. This will encourage the mix to cool before we add the eggs.
5. If the eggs are added to the mix when piping hot they may start to cook and scramble. When the bowl is cool enough for you to hold, begin to add the eggs one at a time, mixing in with a spatula between each addition.
6. Stir well with the spatula until the eggs are thoroughly combined and the paste has a very smooth, “drop” like. It is now ready to use.
7. Carefully spoon the mixture into a large piping bag and set aside. To cook, pipe the pastry onto your tray in the desired, profiterole shape and bake for 20 minutes until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack before filling with vanilla cream.
- 300ml Double Cream
- 50g Castor Sugar
- 1 Vanilla Pod
1. Whisk up double cream and sugar to a semi whipped stage, cut the vanilla pod in half and carefully remove seeds then continue whisking until piping stage is achieved. Carefully fill up bag and fill your now cooled profiteroles.
Warm Chocolate Sauce
- 50g Dark Chocolate
- 150ml Double Cream
- 1 tsp Caster Sugar
1. Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of barely simmering water until completely smooth.
2. Heat all of the remaining ingredients in a small saucepan until evenly combined. Remove from the heat and stir through the melted chocolate. Serve warm over your vanilla cream filled profiteroles.