- 1 red onion
- Olive oil
- 1 large aubergine
- 2 garlic cloves
- 250g ricotta
- 50g cooked spinach squeezed of excess liquid
- Salt and pepper
- Ripe vine tomatoes
1. Pre heat the oven to 180c, Peel and finely slice the red onion.
2. Heat a sauté pan and add a touch of olive oil then cook the onions on a medium heat until very soft and slightly golden. Set aside to cool.
3. Slice the aubergine into 6 even strips lengthways. Put the thyme, garlic and a little salt on your chopping board and roughly chop into a paste using your hands to coat both sides of your aubergine slices with your paste, put them on a lined tray and in the pre heated oven for around 6 minutes or until they are just cooked.
4. Prepare the filling by mixing the now cooled onions, ricotta, spinach and a good amount of grated parmesan add some nutmeg then mix well, taste and season if required. Now transfer this mixture into a piping bag.
5. Pipe a log of mix the width of the aubergine strip at one end. Use the top part of the aubergine and roll it towards the bottom. Roll all 6 slices then sit to the side. Place them evenly on an oven proof dish, drizzle with some olive oil, put any excess ricotta mix on top and grate a little more parmesan over them before sticking in the oven for 8 minutes. Chop your ripe tomatoes and mix with some rocket dressing it generously with olive oil and serve straight away together.