Ultimate Cook School Burger
- 250g minced beef, quality scotch 10% fat approx.
- 1 large egg
- 4 sprigs flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- Cheese slices
- Grilled bacon
- Tomato sliced or roasted
- Season the mix with salt and pepper make a little test burger taste and adjust if required.
- Cook the burgers for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Allow to rest then serve with your choice of toppings, lettuce and tomato…and enjoy.
- 30g fresh yeast or 7g dried
- 500g strong white flour
- 50ml warm milk @25°C
- 200g unsalted butter soft
- 50g caster sugar
- 15g Maldon sea salt, ground
- 5 eggs
- Mix the warm milk with the yeast and 25g plain flour allow standing for 15 minutes to activate.
- Put the remaining flour into your mixing bowl along with the salt and sugar. Beat the eggs in a bowl then add the yeast sponge. Turn on the mixer with a dough hook and gradually add the eggs and yeast on a slow speed. Mix for 7 minutes then add the butter a blob at a time on a medium speed, continue until all the butter is added beat for 15 minutes.
- Cool in the fridge overnight or for a minimum of 1 hour. If overnight take from fridge and place in a warm spot for 1½ hours. Divide into 10-12 equal sized pieces and roll into tight balls. Butter and flour a baking sheet, brush with milk and egg, sprinkle with sesame seeds. Prove for 30 minutes. Pre-heat the oven to 200°C.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes reduce the heat to 175°C. and bake for a further 10 minutes. Cool on a rack
Homemade Tomato Chutney
- 500g red onion, finely sliced
- 1kg tomato, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 red chilli, chopped (optional)
- 4 cm piece ginger, peeled and chopped
- 250g brown sugar
- 150ml red wine vinegar
- 5 cardamom seeds
- ½ tsp paprika
- Tip all the ingredients into a large heavy-based pan and bring to a gentle simmer, stirring frequently.
- Simmer for 1 hr, then bring to a gentle boil so that the mixture turns dark, jammy and shiny.
- Place into sterilised jars and allow to cool before covering. Will keep for 6 weeks.
Chilli and Ginger Glazed Mackerel
- 2 whole mackerel, filleted, pin boned and scaled
- 20ml light soy sauce
- 1 red chilli, de seeded and finely diced
- 1 lime, juiced
- Ginger, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 30g honey
- Make the marinade by mixing all the ingredients together and pour over the mackerel. Cover and chill for 30 mins.
- Heat BBQ and put the mackerel, skin-side up, on a baking sheet lined with foil. Grill for 5 mins, then turn and baste with remaining marinade. Grill for 5 mins more.
- Serve immediately.