- 450g Plain Flour
- 150g Icing Sugar
- 225g Unsalted Butter
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tablespoon Milk
- Rub the butter and sugar together
- Add the egg, flour and milk, bring all the ingredients together to a smooth paste and roll out into a 15cm round cling film and chill for ½ hour.
To Make the Tart
- Roll out the pastry and line a 24cm 3.5 cm deep ring
- Bake blind at 200 c /400 f/ gas 7 until golden and dry.
- Remove the beans, allow he base to cool slightly brush the inside of the base with the egg yolks.
- 6 egg yolks
- 125g sugar
- 40g flour
- 500ml milk
- 1 vanilla pod, split
- Place the egg yolks and about one – third of the sugar in a bowl and whisk until they are pale and form a light ribbon. Sift in the flour and mix well.
- Combine the milk, the remaining sugar and the split vanilla pod in a saucepan and bring to the boil. As soon as the mixture bubbles, pour about one – third onto the egg mixture, stirring all the time. Pour the mixture back into the pan and cook over gentle heat, stirring continuously. Boil for 2 minutes, then tip the custard into a bowl. Flake a little butter over the surface or dust lightly with icing sugar to prevent a skin from forming as the custard cools.
- Add a little cocoa or coffee powder to the custard instead of the vanilla to give you a chocolate or coffee – flavoured cream. If you use cocoa, use a little less flour and add a touch more sugar.
Napage to Glaze
- 200ml double cream
- Vanilla pods
- Icing sugar to sweeten
Add your creme pattissiere to your pastry tart, top with sliced strawberries and finish with your glaze.